You can download my complete Resume as a PDF by clicking here.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -- Aristotle
Graduate Research Assistant at Virginia Tech. I have been working on various research and development related tasks for both the Center for Human-Computer Interaction (CHCI) and the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT).
- Designed novel interaction techniques for audience engagement during a live performance, part of a collaboration with an acrobatic-dance group.
- Contributed to the research and proposal writing of various externally funded projects, such as the NSF ERC and IIS programs.
- Assisted in the organization of various events, such as the 20-year Celebration of the CHCI in 2015 and the Social Informatics Workshops in 2016-2017.
- Managed the websites of the Center for HCI and the 3D Interaction research lab, under the guidance of Dr Doug Bowman.
Internship at the Medical Virtual Reality (MedVR) group of the Institute of Creative Technologies, at the University of South California (Los Angeles, USA). I mainly worked for the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center (RERC) under the guidance of Dr. Belinda Lange.
- Developed the interface for Jewel Mine (using Unity), one of ICT’s projects on Virtual Reality and Gaming for Home-based Motor Rehabilitation.
- Ran usability assessments (cost-benefit analyses) for the center's Microsoft Kinect-based tools, also participating at a user-testing in a rehabilitation clinic for stroke patients.
- Designed (storyboarding) and wrote a brief proposal for a Kinect-based exhibit for amputees for the National Museum of Health, in Washington DC.
Senior Interactive Systems Developer at the Internet, Multimedia & Film Production Department of the Foundation of the Hellenic World (Athens, Greece). The FHW is a privately owned, not-for-profit organization devoted to the dissemination of Hellenic culture using new media technologies.
- Repeatedly undertook the project management of interactive applications and productions, both for national and EU-funded projects with intra-European partnerships.
- Collaborated with an extensive number of professionals, such as graphic designers, engineers, script writers, composers, historians, architects, marketing managers, etc.
- Contributed to the design and development of interactive exhibits, installations, applications, and full-dome shows hosted at the FHW’s Cultural Center “Hellenic Cosmos”.
- Represented FHW twice in China in order to exhibit our work and seek partnerships in the context of the “Cultural Year of Greece in China," right before the 2008 Olympic Games.
Freelance Multimedia Development and Consulting, collaborating with some of the largest organizations and software production companies in Greece, such as the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, the National Observatory of Athens, makebelieve S.A., Honest Partners S.A., PostScriptum Ltd., and more.
During these commissioned projects I worked on the design, implementation, and testing of applications for diverse purposes, including educational software for children, interactive installations for exhibitions, and visualizations of earthquake data points. You can check out these projects under my Professional Portfolio.
Head of the Multimedia Department at Integrated Information Systems S.A. (Athens, Greece). IIS was founded and operated in Athens for a decade and was mainly providing digital products for EU-funded projects.
- I was managing the multimedia application design and development of the EU-funded research projects, collaborating with our partners and other departments of the company.
- I supervised the work of three graphic designers, one programmer, and one video/audio editor, while I also had to seek collaborations with external partners on a per project basis.
QUEST FOR KNOWLEDGE
There is only one good -- knowledge; and only one evil -- ignorance. --Socrates
PhD Candidate in Computer Science and Applications at the Center for Human-Computer Interaction of Virginia Tech. Dissertation title: "Evaluating Group Interaction and Engagement using Virtual Environments and Serious Games for Student Groups in Informal Learning Spaces."
MSc in Computer Science and Applications at Virginia Tech. The degree was awarded based on coursework, i.e., successful completion of eleven 3-credit courses (GPA: 3.975). At the same time I received the Graduate Certificate in Human Computer Interaction.
|Research Methods in Computer Science||A|
|Models and Theories of Human-Computer Interaction||A|
|Computational Thinking for Middle School Curricula||A|
|Introduction to Artificial Intelligence||A-|
|Interactive Learning Media Development||A|
|Applied Theories of Instructional Design||A|
PhD student at the Department of Cultural Technology and Communication, University of the Aegean (Greece) [interrupted]. Thesis title: "Interaction techniques for audience participation and collaboration during educational games in immersive theater environments."
MSc in Human-Centered Computer Systems at the School of Cognitive and Computer Sciences, University of Sussex (UK). Thesis title: "AMBROSIA: A Movie-Based Realm Of Synchronous Interface Agents".
|Developing Artificial Intelligence||67%|
|Human Centred Interaction||59%|
|Introduction to Computer Science||63%|
|Psychological Methods for System Evaluation||68%|
|Software Design and Evaluation||61%|
|Interactive Learning Environments||68%|
BSc in Electrical Engineering from the Technological Educational Institute of Partras, School of Technological Applications (Greece). Thesis title: "Cultural and tourist guide of Lesbos island" (multimedia application design).
The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching. -- Aristotle
During my first two years at Virginia Tech I have been employed twice as a Teaching Assistant for the CS3724 Human Computer Interaction class, and once for the CS capstone course CS4624 Multimedia, Hypermedia and Information Access.
I have been teaching periodically as an Instructor of Information Technology the course of New Media and Technologies at the Institute of Continuous Adult Learning – General Secretariat of Life-Long Learning of the Greek Ministry of Education.
I have worked as an Assistant Lecturer on the course of Interactive Media at the graduate program MSc in Telematics Management, organized by the Technological Education Institute of Piraeus (Greece) in cooperation with the Danube University Krems (Austria).
HONORS & AWARDS
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. -- Aristotle
SEAD (Science, Engineering, Art, and Design) Mini Grant from the Institute of Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) at Virginia Tech.
May 2016, 2015, & 2014
Graduate Research Development Program (GRDP), a campus-wide funding from the Graduate Student Assembly, awarded 3 years in a row.
Scholarship for International Research, from the International Programs Office of the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech.
Hellenic Student Association Scholarship from the Division of Student Affairs of Virginia Tech.
March 2014 & April 2012
Pratt fellowship from the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech, for "outstanding performance and teaching excellence."
Gerondelis Foundation Grant awarded to students of Hellenic origin with excellent academic record.
LEADERSHIP & SOCIAL IMPACT
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else. -- Mahatma Gandhi
During my time at VT I served as:
- Vice President of the Computer Science Grad Council (2014-2015)
- Graduate Program Committee Rep of the CSGC (2012-2014)
- Treasurer of the Hellenic Student Association (2013-2014)
- President of the Hellenic Student Association (2012-2013)
I am supporting the following causes:
- Actionaid's "sponsor a child," supporting a community in Ghana
- Greenpeace with regular dona-tions, supporting specific goals
- Wigs for Kids by donating hair and money biannually
- Avaaz with monthly donations to support their global actions
As part of my graduate assistanceship at VT, I organized a conference-like event for the 20th anniversary of the Center for Human Interaction (CHCI), attended by more than a hundred alumni and current students/faculty. My contribution to the event's success was recognized and awarded along with distinguished HCI professors. More information at the event page.
During the spring 2014 semester I tested my social entrepreneurship idea in the context of "The Startup Class," offered by the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech. My idea was validated through interviews with a wide range of stakeholders, such as actionaid, Greenpeace, United Way, as well as local businesses and volunteer groups.
As part of my interest in leadership, I completed the following MOOCs:
- Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence, by Case Western Reserve University
- Better Leader, Richer Life, by the University of Pennsylvania
- Conversations that Inspire: Coaching Learning, Leadership and Change, by CWRU
Being constantly motivated to change things, I completed the MOOCs:
- Creativity Innovation, and Change, by Penn State (twice: 2013, 2014)
- What’s Your Big Idea?, by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Social Entrepreneurship, by the University of Pennsylvania
PLAY, TRAVEL & FAMILY
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw
Besides my professional and academic endeavors, my personal life plays a huge role in my well-being. My wife Anna and my 9-month old son consist my beloved family, who I spend most of my free time with. I also enjoy the company of close friends and good (=Greek) food; as a result I very often organize gatherings and parties at home, where playing games and having impromptu music bands and performances can also spice up the evening.
For my spiritual pleasure, I meditate, read philosophy books, and indulge in listening to good rock, jazz, and classical music. For my physical health, I love jogging, playing basketball, ping-pong, and pool. However, my biggest passions are photogrpahy and traveling, meeting new places and people, and experiencing their culture. In any case, I consider that the success of every activity in life hinges upon good company and personal relationships.
Powered by themekiller.com anime4online.com animextoon.com apk4phone.com tengag.com moviekillers.com